Old 02-12-2003, 03:04 AM
J Fortuna

Default OK to repot?

George,

Thank you for posting about the effect on Phals of raising humidity at home.
I had been thinking about getting a humidifier, and your message gave me
that extra boost, so that I finally did get it. I also have sinus problems,
and I also have several Phals.

In answer to your question: [Disclaimer: I am not an expert yet, so if
anyone more experienced responds, listen to them.]

My understanding is that one should avoid repotting Phals when they are in
spike, but if yours is in spike constantly, and if your medium is already
very deteriorated, then I would think you might not have a choice but to
repot in spike. I wonder whether repotting when the spike is still small is
less risky than repotting once the spike is more developed -- I know that
that's the case with shipping Phals in spike, so I wonder whether the same
principle applies to repotting (?)

Joanna

"the moke monster" wrote in message
I have several indoor phals that have finished blooming and are already
putting up new spikes. One has a keiki attached that has its own spike.
These things are growing like weeds ever since I raised the humidity
in the house (for my sinuses). It has been 3 years since they were
repotted. Is it OK to repot these without ruining the spikes?

thanks.

George