Old 02-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Martin Brown

Default eu regulations

In message , martin
writes
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 07:37:00 +0000 (UTC), "anton"
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote in message ...
In article ,
martin wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:23:16 +0000 (UTC), "anton"
wrote:

Withdraw from the EU. Then we won't get stupid EU regulations,
and the rest of the stupid regulations will clearly be home-grown, so we

can
hold our own politicians to account for them.

The mindless interpretation and enforcement of EU directives is a UK
problem.

Those of us with long memories will remember that it was no different
before we joined the EU,

Wrong. Even if you choose to believe that the quality of govt
regulations is no worse since accession to the EU, the
increase in the volume of regulations is beyond dispute.

The EU issues directives, in UK Westminster and Whitehall turns them
into regulations.
If one compares a directive with what Westminster turns it into, one
will see that Westminster is the entity generating a ridiculous
number of ambiguous regulations. I blame the UK civil service.

The Whitehall drudges enjoy doing it like that though. Therein lies the
problem. UK interpretation of EU directives is usually gold plated with
every possible bell and whistle added to maximise cost and ambiguity.

Other EU countries seldom bother to enforce rules like the UK does. Most
of the stupid regulations are due to over zealous UK interpretation.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown