Old 02-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Colin Malsingh

Default garlic developing tops...what do i do?

wrote in message ...
I planted my garlic in october and now I am seeing considerable top
growth,

Ok, this is the expected pattern. But do you have any advice for those
who's garlic *hasn't* shown any sign of growth above the ground?

I planted three varieties: two "normal" (can't remember names, but
they were sold for Autumn planting in the UK) and some Elephant
garlic, all at the start of October.

So far, one of the normal ones has produced good green shoots around 6
inches long. However, neither of the others have. I had a careful dig
around one of these and found a clove with no shoots but a bunch of
rootlets an inch long, which looked promising.

Are there any varieties that don't produce any shoots before the
Spring, even when planted in the Autumn? The Elephant garlic I planted
last year definitely had some sprouts by December, though may not have
been the same variety.

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)