Old 02-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Ray

Default Rhynchostylis care questions

Semi-hydroponics expensive? Actually, not at all.

Yeah, there's an investment up front for the medium, but as it's totally
reusable, in a short time it ends up being far cheaper than the use of
"disposable," organic-based media.

As to the chemicals, let me just say that with the exception of osmunda,
orchids get essentially the same nutrition from all media - none - so you
have to add it via the nutrients you apply. Plants in Semi-hydro have the
same nutritional demands as those in other media, and if you're serious
about growing your orchids well, then nutrition is a serious concern.

Look at it this way: you spend a lot of money on these silly little plants,
why not try to do what's best to keep them healthy, thereby protecting your
investment? You wouldn't buy a new car and then not change the oil or have
it mechanically maintained, would you?

The use of additives, media pretreatments, etc. are likewise not unique to
S/H culture, but again, it's just a matter of trying to give the plant the
best shot at being the best they can.

Maybe what has happened in the case of S/H is that when folks started seeing
how successful it was for me and inquired about it, I described everything
that I do concerning my orchid growing. Folks accepted it as a package,
rather than looking at the combination of the media and the pots as the real
difference between my general orchid culture and my S/H cultural
methodologies.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
S/H sounds expensive?with all the dyno grow etc!
kenty
"Sarah Huff" wrote in message
Thanks, Doris! I might have to try s/h.

Sarah

"Doris Salzmann" wrote in message
.
"Sarah Huff" wrote in message
Hi everyone! I just acquired a rhynchostylis and would like some

tips
on
caring for it. I know it should stay moist, but what type of medium

does
it
prefer? Will it grow well in s/h? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sarah

Hi Sarah, I have several Rhynchos. 2 are in baskets and one is in S/H

..
The
latter was struggling in it's basket last year and it loves the S/H

culture
. I let roots that start higher up just grow outside the pot. They get
misted together with the Vandas.

Doris