Old 02-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Gavin Wheeler

Default Garden of Wales decision time

"K" wrote in message ...

Where were the other 4 trustees that they could not attend such an important
meeting as this?

Short answer: I don't know. I'm not connected to the Gardens in any
way (unless you count having been a volunteer a couple of times in the
early stages, before it opened), and so wouldn't necessarily recognise
the trustees if I saw them. So they might have been there in the
audience - it would have been more exact to say that there were two
trustees up on the stadium, publically identified as such. There were
certainly plenty of other people present who are part of the
organisation in sme way, such as the guy who was handing out the
newsletter or various ex-employees.

The meeting was also something organised by an interested local, not
by the trustees themselves. So I suppose I could understand some of
them not being able to be present, especially as they are trying to
keep the Gardens running well on a skeleton staff, and there having
been a Christmas Craft Fair on earlier that day. It would have been
nice to see them all there, but I honestly can't say where they were
or why.

Obviously everyone has to make up their own mind as to whether or not
they *do* trust this revamped incarnation of the Garden, after the
mess that has been made in the past, and I wouldn't dream of trying to
tell anyone that they 'should' trust them. Really all I was trying to
do, or could reasonably do for that matter, was make people aware of
the debate that is happening in the Assembly today, and give some
account of the meeting on Sunday.

On that note, I've been looking at the Assembly website, to see if I
could find out more about the debate (or committee meeting or whatever
it is). I couldn't, but I did find a transcript of another past debate
on the gardens. If you are interested the URL is:
http://www.wales.gov.uk/assemblydata...m#_Toc52774895