Old 02-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Martin Brown

Default OT. new antispam laws in the US

In message , martin
writes
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:46:44 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , Martin Brown
writes

Bounces of bounces are prevented by having a null return path to avoid
endless loops.

I'm glad you sent that post!!
We seem to have been put on a porn list at an address which is a mixture
of my work id and our demon id. After this thread I was worried about
ping pong bounces - but you have set my mind at rest

Strictly what I have described is what should happen. Some systems are
not as well behaved as they could be but bounce loops are very rare.

All you have to do now is to worry about bouncing to the innocent
victims of header forgery.

The innocent victims of header forgery can look after themselves.
*Their* address was forged by a third party. If they want to go after
that individual they need all the headers from the original message to
do it.

I haven't had a worm or a virus since 1999, I did receive several
mails from system managers, as far away as Chile, informing me that I
was posting Swen viruses.

I wouldn't like to bet on that. Swen subverts PCs and ISP smarthosts to
broadcast itself and makes little effort to disguise where it has come
from. In most cases the return path points back very close to the
location of the infected machine. This may be different now but it was
true initially.

Most of the early victims that got laid waste by Swen had up to date AV
and so felt they were invulnerable. Big mistake...

Regards,
--
Martin Brown