Old 02-12-2003, 02:02 PM
David

Default Garden of Wales decision time

I agree that the Eden Project is a long way from major population centres,
but the number of summer visitors to Devon and Cornwall is much higher than
the number who come to Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire. Also, I suspect
that visitors to the West Country tend to have more disposable income.

The other thing is the publicity that the Eden Prioject has received since
it opened, which has been on a much larger scale, linked with tie-ins to The
Lost Garden at Heligan(?) - similar to Aberglasney, but much more heavily
promoted, and even vists to Tresco in the Scilly Isles.

David

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.16...
"David" wrote in
:

As a visitor to the garden over a number of years, and a member in the
first full year of operation, I would make the following observations:

- The garden can never be truly self financing, its location places it
too far from the main population centres of the Midlands and South of
England. As a result visitor numbers will never be sufficient on their
own, also

- It has never been marketed effectively, look at the Eden Project as
an example of good promotion. Why can'y The Garden be marketed jointly
with Aberglasney (another superb visitor attraction)?

I think your second points contradicts your first. The nearest city to

the
Eden Project is titchy Plymouth in the next county: the area has poor

roads
and is a good 6 hour drive from the Midlands and London.

Middleton is just down the M4 from Swansea, Cardiff, and Bristol, and

would
be 'doable' as a day-trip from Reading or Swindon.

If the Eden Project, Heligan, Rosemoor etc can support themselves miles
from any city, let alone 'main population centres' I don't see why
Middleton can't. It's got to be down to bad promotion, as you say.

Even if you argue Eden and Heligan just live off tourists, Rosemoor is in
Torrington, for heavens sake, surrounded by acres of mud and sheep!

Victoria