Old 02-12-2003, 04:02 PM
gary

Default Lilac bushes

Greetings

Putting fireplace ashes on your lilacs may or may not be a good idea. It is
about the same as putting lime on them. IMHO if the lilacs are doing good
with your fertilizer program don't use the wood ashes.
Pruning the lilacs. The flowers come from buds on last years growth. So
if you prune them, do it right after the plant blooms. If pruned in the
fall you would cut of all of the buds for spring flowering. See
http://spi8m.com//products.htm they have an excellent lilac how to section.

Gary

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
Can't say I know much about them but they grow in Albuquerque (zone 7)
really well. We have maybe 10-12 in the yard as does the neighbor.
They do nothing with theirs, not even water them. I water mine and dump
the bagged fertilizer on them annually and they seem to like it. I'm
about to try some fireplace ashes on one to see what happens. Other
than that we do nothing to them, just let them be & enjoy their aroma
when they bloom.

Romy Beeck wrote:

I don't know why but my lilac flowers are so bad the last few years, I
pruned them and they were a little better.One person told me to get a
fertlizer stick a pound it down in the roots..Anyone know much about

them.I
live in wisconsin