Old 02-12-2003, 05:02 PM
K Barrett

Default Digital Camera Question

The point that digital pictures display differently between computers or
over the web is a given, Ray. The reason for digital images is to be
transported and stored electronically. No one is saying digital images are
better than film.

Within Wendy's 'closed system' of her computer, her monitor and her eyes
(aged or not), she CAN see a difference amongst digital images produced by
various digital cameras.

That's the point.

Consumers can be taught digital quality and purchase the best quality they
can afford, and that's why I like the Amazing Comparometer. You learn what
constitutes a decent image within your closed system and apply that
knowledge to your next purchase. Sort of like wine tasting. If you think
screw tops is all that's out there then yes, a fine wine is wasted on your
palate. If you think one audio system sounds pretty much like another, then
yes, stick with your boom box. If you think one automobile is pretty much
like another then stay with your Toyota. You'll be happy.

K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
Good eyes or bad eyes, you're seeing the image on a computer monitor,

which
drastically degrades the quality.

If you plan on only PC displays, don't waste your money. If you plan on
printing and/or enlarging, it's a whole different matter.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Wendy" wrote in message
This Comparometer is fun! I entered the
Canon EOS-1Ds .......$7169.00
& the
Sony CyberShot DSC-F828 .......$980.00 (new)

Now with my old eyes, my monitor & very little photography knowledge,
I hardly see any difference?

I would rather have the cheaper camera & use the $$ on my orchids! *g*
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Did you compare its pictures side by side with other cameras (and even

your
old one) on the 'Amazing Comparometer? Why anyone would consider a

purchase
and *not* look at actual images the camera produces is beyond me.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

You'll thank me later.

K Barrett

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
All,

Our digital Kodak 260 is now way behind the curve, and we're

considering
new one. Frank did a bunch of research and found the Panasonic

DMC-FZ10K
Lumix. 4 mp, zoom up to 12x, and an optical image stabilizer, among

other
features. It's priced around $600, which makes puts it in

reasonable
range
for us.

Anyone familiar with this camera? I'm sure that if we wanted to

spend
fortune there are better ones available, but we'd like to stay in

this
range. I'm particularly interested in getting detail so I can

photograph
some of the smaller orchids.

Any thoughts welcome.

Diana