Old 02-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Peter Jason

Default walter, don't you think it's time we talked?

Why not back to Africa, from whence they came?

OK, I'll say it........
It's time to license people to have children, for two reasons:
1/ The world is not underpopulated.
2/ The abysmal level of care shown to children by many parents.

In the good old days 'marriage' was such a license because of the three
things necessary for the raising of children, vis:

1/ Money,
2/ More money,
3/ Still more money.

Every hardworking taxpayer has a right to demand his money is spent
efficiently, and also...
Marriage is a business - not a love-fest.

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
om...
Maybe we should send them all to Australia?

They should feel at home there.

BTW, its not that "One out of four African-Americans between about 15 and

45
is involved with the criminal justice system", its that number of
African-American males of that age have a criminal record involving

violent
crime and have made themselves unhirable for life because they mistakenly
thought it would be cool to be "gangastas". Who's fault is that?

Iris Cohen wrote in message
All he needs is a pair of rose-colored glasses.

I don't know about Australia, but the problems he mentioned are

extremely
serious in this country. One out of four African-Americans between about

15 and
45 is involved with the criminal justice system. Bush's much-touted No

Child
Left Behind law is only half funded.
About 30 years ago there was a tremendous push to get mental patients

out
of
the large state hospitals and back into the community. The only trouble

was
that nowhere near enough money or authority was put into seeing that the
patients received adequate care and supervision. The result is that our
homeless shelters and prisons are full of mentally ill people who are

not
receiving proper care.
What has that to do with botany or AHTA? I will never forget 20 years

ago
when
I was involved in a prison literacy program, I worked with some young

men
who
were learning disabled, most of them from the slums. One day I brought

in
some
spring flowers, and labeled them in English and Spanish. One of the men,

about
21, told me he had NEVER BEFORE SEEN A REAL FLOWER. Some of the state

prison
systems, notably in Florida, have had some very successful horticulture
programs.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)