Old 02-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Iris Cohen

Default walter, don't you think it's time we talked?

A few years ago, there was a well-meaning, naive white woman just like you,

murdered her

Such tragedies do happen. I assure you I am not nearly so naive. Projects in
the inner city, or anywhere else, need to be properly organized & supervised.
People who want to help should do so within the framework of existing
structure. That is why I suggest that they do so through the Salvation Army,
scouting, community centers, Habitat for Humanity, etc. Of course people who go
into a tough neighborhood alone are asking for trouble. Some of these same
undersocialized young men, reached young enough and in an appropriate setting,
are salvageable. Don't write them all off.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)