Old 03-12-2003, 12:22 AM
Pam - gardengal

Default pH level and suitable plants.

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
Is pH all that critical for plant growth? I have had varying results
planting this and that, so perhaps I should measure the pH of the soil.

How
is this done? If I get a certain pH, is there an index listing all

suitable
plants for that pH? Are buffers necessary too.

You can purchase soil pH testing kits at most garden centers and nurseries.
Not wonderfully accurate, but close enough. You should take samples in
various parts of your garden, as it can vary from location to location.

It is desirable for the largest range of plants to have a soil pH that is
slightly acidic - 6.0 to 6.5 is right in there. Too much variation in either
direction and you significantly reduce the number of plants you can grow.
The primary problem is soil pH is impossible to change permanently and
difficult to change significantly in either direction.

Most plants will tolerate a range of soil pH, with slightly acidic soil (as
I already mentioned) being the preferred choice. Most veggies, which prefer
neutral to slightly alkaline soil, are the largest exception and they can be
accommodated by groiwn in raised beds where you can add new soil with the
chemistry you need.

Best to get a test kit and see what you have to work with. Then report back
and we can provide more specifics about amending the soil or suggesting
appropriate plants.

pam - gardengal