Old 03-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Dave

Default Compost pile and "treated wood"

I've heard "wolmanized" wood is treated with arsenic.

KR wrote in message:

I would strongly suggest using untreated wood (cedar, spruce,

redwood) or another material, plastic etc, if you are constructing a
composter. Most likely you don't want your compost contaminated with
arsenic; you can now find non-CCA treated wood on the market, but even
that contains high levels of copper, which you probably don't want
leaching into your compost either. Copper is needed by plants in small
amounts, but when it builds up in the soil it can cause disease like
symptoms in plants; arsenic is toxic to humans and stunts the growth
of plants, and in CCA it is paired with chromium, which can cause
liver damage.

Regards - krnntp

Ignoramus15011 wrote:

Can I make the walls for my compost pile from "green treated" or
"wolmanized" wood. Or would the wood leech dangerous chemicals into
the compost?