Old 03-12-2003, 04:32 AM

Default Aquarium heater in pond

yeah, I still got the 500 watt going, temp was 52 or so last I looked. got the
plastic up and over the pond to limit evaporation and losing heat. look... everybody
and their brother keeps stock tanks open to water livestock. they gotta have a
heater will do it. for smallish ponds I use a heater + small water pump and it works
fine. all you have to do is keep the water liquid. I think what you plan will work
fine. Ingrid

ode (EliezerE) wrote:

I have read of people's varying experience with putting a submersible aquarium
heater in an outdoor pond over the winter. I think Ingrid did it succesfully.
Can anyone provide personal experiences, what to do and not to do? I am trying
to keep a lotus alive in an above-ground stock tank in Chicago that is too
heavy (read I am too lazy) to move and store, and want to put in a heater and
coer the whole thing with white foam insulation board. I'm not worried about
the rosy reds and feeder goldfish that were in there to eat mosquitoes, but
want to prevent solid freezing.
Thanks!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/