Old 03-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Double Digging

Dale McSwain said:

Having done my share of double digging...

I would like to know if anyone else does this
on a larger scale basis. Say an acre or more.
Is it practical on a larger scale? If so how?

On that large a scale, I think you plow with specialized rigs.
Rippers, large discs, moldboards, subsoilers...

http://clic.cses.vt.edu/icomanth/soilmodi.html

Having double dug one flower bed (for a friend) two years ago in
the worst sort of compacted clay soil, I could not imagine doing it
for acre+ plots without a small army of people who were desperate
for work (ANY sort of work) and plenty of money.

(attributed to Don Marti)