Old 03-12-2003, 04:06 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Serissa question

Gary:
If you want more information on Serissa, I suggest you send me a private
Email without the no spam, and I will send you information on Serissa.

Serissa will do much better in the ground, if you are trying to bulk up
the trunk.... I would suggest you let them grow for several years until
you are happy with the trunk size. Then you can start to pot them up
and style them.

Leave some of them in the ground, mulch and protect them. If they
survive your winter, they will reward you with lots of growth. I have a
potential forest growing in the ground for the last four years (Zone
6/7). Every spring, I dig it up, prune out the unwanted trees and turn
it, and place it back into the ground on ceramic tiles.

Good luck,

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Gary Woods wrote:

This spring I set a bunch of Serissa cuttings, the results of trimming a
very overgrown small tree, destined with expert help, to be shaped "broom"
fashion, in a nursery bed in the garden.
Despite my customary lack of care, about half of them struck and a dozen
were potted up this fall. Most are 6" or so tall and many are flowering; I
plan to supplement a south window with some fluorescents. They are growing
as they will, which means several leaders in a shrub shape. I'm feeding
lightly and making sure they don't completely dry out between waterings.

Should I do any preliminary trimming, or just aim at getting healthy plants
through the winter?

Thanks,

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: