Old 03-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Garden of Wales decision time

"Peter Crosland" wrote in
:

Even if you argue Eden and Heligan just live off tourists, Rosemoor
is in Torrington, for heavens sake, surrounded by acres of mud and
sheep!

And what is wrong with being surrounded by mud and sheep? Far better
than by pavements covered in litter!

I am myself surrounded by mud and sheep!

My point was that there is nothing wrong with that for a successful garden,
and people are prepared to travel to out of the way locations to see them
when they are well promoted.

I mentioned Rosemoor because it is quite a way from either of Devon's
touristy coastlines, (at least 2 hours from the South coast, and over an
hour from, say, Woolacombe or Lynmouth on the North coast.)

Even the roads to it are pretty poor, particularly from the South, where
the majority of the tourist trade congregates. Yet people seem to manage to
get there somehow: even out of season I've never seen it completely
deserted.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill