Old 03-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Darryl Okahata

Default Cat with F.I.P - problem for vegetables?

"Bob" writes:

I gave a friend some garlic to plant, but she has been hesitating
because the neighbor's cat was leaving deposits in her garden on
a regular basis. Now, she just found out that they had to put the
cat down due to F.I.P. (feline infective peritonitis) Would this
contaminate the beds and cause any problem with planting garlic
now, and basil next year, obviously for human consumption?

While FIP supposedly can't be caught by humans, there are enough
other nasties in meat-eating animal deposits that your friend should not
plant *ANY* food crops there.

--
Darryl Okahata