Old 03-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Martin Brown

Default Pruning Walnut Tree

In message , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message

I've never heard of anyone pruning a walnut tree. Why does it need it?

I did it for a tree growing on the lawn that my wife wants to sit
under not in - i.e. I removed all low branches. They can outgrow
the space they are allotted or get out of shape just as much as
any other tree can.

Well, yes. A walnut tree will grow larger than a oak - well, higher and
wider anyway.

They are fairly slow growing though. And have aromatic leaves. And when
they fruit in autumn they seem to attract squirrels from miles away.

Amazingly the house I used to rent in Belgium had one planted about a
foot out from the house foundations. And at about 25 years old it had
just reached the roof apex level (~10m).

I always wondered what its roots were doing to the foundations.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown