Old 03-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Dan Norgard

Default Lighting Deep Tanks

Two weeks ago I built a 100g tank and made my own hood. I didn't have the
$$ for PCs, Halides and all the goodies so I got 4-100w screw base
Flourescents for $10 from Costco...you know, the curly type that take the
place of a regular bulb? I transferred everything from a 30g with 1.5 wpg
to the new tank. Like I said that was 2 weeks ago. I have had to start
pruning already. I have a mixture of Low Light plants and
Mediums...Anubias, javas, Crypts, Vals, swords and several mosses. All are
doing great without ferts or CO2.

Dan

"Daza" wrote in message
om...
Problem: Without realizing how much light aquarium plants need I had a
34"x30"x14" aquarium made to fit into a wall recess. I've been reading
that most freshwater tropical fish prefer lower light levels that
exist in most natural streams. Anyway I've bought two 25w fluorescent
tubes since this was the highest wattage at 30" long. I also got two
reflectors which the manufacturer says increases light by 100% giving
a possible 100w. I guess I need more light but how much would you guys
suggest. I don't want to stress the fish with too much but also want
tall plants for the 30" high tank.