Old 04-12-2003, 02:46 AM
Blarneytoad

Default Lighting Deep Tanks

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:28:10 -0500, "RedForeman ©®"
wrote:

"Daza" wrote in message
. com...
Problem: Without realizing how much light aquarium plants need I had a
34"x30"x14" aquarium made to fit into a wall recess. I've been reading
that most freshwater tropical fish prefer lower light levels that
exist in most natural streams. Anyway I've bought two 25w fluorescent
tubes since this was the highest wattage at 30" long. I also got two
reflectors which the manufacturer says increases light by 100% giving
a possible 100w. I guess I need more light but how much would you guys
suggest. I don't want to stress the fish with too much but also want
tall plants for the 30" high tank.

First off, you would have a hard time stressing fish with light, unless you
never turned it off.... they need to sleep/rest too... :^)

Metal Halides are expensive, Power Compact Flourescents are cheaper....

For a 30" high tank, you must be particular about what you put in it too...
Go with lower light plants, that won't require that you penetrate the whole
tank... Java Ferns, for example, grow great in a low/low light setup...
There are a whole mess of plants that do.. .

So to recap, I would probably go with a 1x55 or 2x55w PCF fixture, raised a
few inches off the top of the water, glass top, CO2 Injection, low light
plants and it'll probably prove itself to be a low maintenance, highly
pleasing visual centerpeice in your living room...

btw, reflectors are insignificant in wattage, they only bend the light to
point it down...
www.ahsupply.com helped me tremendously
www.hellolights.com is a newer site that has just about everything

Good luck, and come back often...

MH are more expensive no doubt but it isn't necessary to fit them with
$50-$80 bulbs. You can go to a lighting store and buy $30 bulbs. A
MH bulb has a broader spectrum and lasts much longer than a
flourescent bulb and gives much better results. I've had both and can
say that there is no comparison especially if you want to bring out
the red in any plants (no pun intended). If you can afford them you
won't regret it.