Old 04-12-2003, 10:13 AM
jane

Default live christmas tree

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:50:00 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

~
~"Gea Jones" wrote in message
~ in pot, I saw one in my local shop, well a few, it isn't very big, but
~looks
~ nice, any advice?I want to have it indoors , decorate it, then take it out
~ after christmas
~ Thanks
~ Gea
~
~ --
~ http://community.webtv.net/AveAveAlt...ROSYHEALINGFOR
~ ©
~
~I've heard that in a centrally heated house the tree will need up to a
~gallon of water daily to prevent it becoming dehydrated and dropping all its
~needles.

I've had a potted Christmas tree for 5 years now. We bought it as an
30" high baby (not including the pot), and it's now more than double
that. The pot size is now 45cm (18") and it's been putting on about
3-4" of height a year and about the same in width :-) Each Christmas,
close to Christmas eve, we bring it into the conservatory, hoover off
the cobwebs and probably some unsuspecting spiders, wipe the pot and
pop it in a large base. Leave it to dry a few hours then move in with
the lights and baubles. Keep well watered - we usually stick some
water in the base when turning on the lights.

One year it lost nearly all its leaves over the fortnight - to my
horror. I had been watering well. It turned out to be green spruce
aphids.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ruce_aphid.asp
It got sprayed (!) and pampered and turned back outside as soon as we
got to Twelfth Night and it grew a lot of new fronds that year. Since
then I've watched for this autumn-winter pest which can explode if
given too much warmth. This is why we now keep the tree in the cooler
(10-15C) conservatory and not the main lounge.

One day we hope to have a big enough garden to be able to plant it out
permanently. Until then, it seems quite happy being repotted every
other year. I suspect the limiting factor will be if we can still
carry it!!!

--
jane

Mark Twain