Old 04-12-2003, 12:33 PM
frankg

Default Winter mowing

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:54:49 GMT, "Pam - gardengal" wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message
I never got around to doing a final mow in the fall, and I'm wondering if
there would be any benefit or if it would hurt my lawn if I did it now.

It is currently a couple degrees below freezing although last night it

went
to 10 below (Celsius).

OK as long as grass is no longer frosted/frozen. Even walking on frozen
grass can damage it.

pam - gardengal

I don't know about the first sentence but I've walked on many a frozen
lawns (without scuffing my feet) and never saw damage to them over the
years. I believe the reason is that as long as the root system is
well nourished and undamaged, what happens above ground is not that
important. Our frost depth was well below the roots and our lawn
never seemed to suffer from being frozen.