Old 04-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Pat Brennan

Default I won!

"Claude" wrote in message
. ..

Is this true that Dtps are now classified as Phal? that`s what I have been
told tonight!

The taxonomy world is a strange one with mob rule. There is no committee
which reviews and votes on suggested reclassification, instead a change is
suggested in a publication and if people like it over time it will take. In
Christenson's Phalaenopsis monograph he suggested that Doritis should be
reclassified as a Phalaenopsis. The person who told you it has been
reclassified has accepted Christenson's work. I have heard others say that
the differences between a Phal and a Doritis are greater than the
differences between a Cattleya and Laelia and they are not accepting the
suggested change. It will take years for it all to play out. Until then
pick a side and label your plants as you wish. RHS orchid registration will
take much longer to change even if the reclassification is accepted by the
general orchid community. Orchid crosses involving pulcherrima will be
registered as Doritis crosses with the RHS for many years into the future.

Pat Brennan