Old 04-12-2003, 03:02 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Five "must do" tips for winter landscapers

Earl Buchan wrote:
=

1. It's Tool Time
Your tools are probably leaning against the wall of your garage or
basement, still caked with the dried-on dirt from the last time you
used them a couple of months ago. Admit it! I'm right aren't I?
Invest a few minutes and your tools will actually be useable next
spring.
=

Clean mud and dirt off shovels, forks and trowels at a very minimum.
You can then rub the metal parts with an oily rag. If you've got some
WD-40 handy, that'll work fine. Another tip: professional landscapers
rub the wooden handles with linseed oil to prevent them drying and
cracking.

Something I've found, if one has a bench grinder, is to sharpen the
edges of the transfer shovels, spades, machetes. Knives best done on a
whetstone. All this is done after cleaning the utensil.

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com
-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky