Old 04-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Where to place diff. plants under light?

iBook wrote:

I have an indoor growroom in the basement. I started with a shelf system
that has four 4 foot flor. bulbs under each shelf. I then bought a MH
400 and hung it in front of the shelf, and got another shelf to put next
to it. So, basicaly there are 2 selves on each unit that get nice light
from the MH, along with the one shelf that has the flor. bulbs.
My question is- what plants should I put closer to the MH? I know that
the Paphs and the phals need to a be little furthar from the bulb, but I
also have several other types. I grow:

My general rule is put the warmer growers on the top shelf. After that,
you can mix and match according to the light requirements of the
individual genera. That is such a subjective thing that I don't even
want to start... You can look at my plant room (on my website) to get
an idea of what I put where. My best advice is to do what you think is
best, and watch the plants for a few months. Shuffle if it looks like
something isn't getting enough light, or too much light. Not very
specific advice, but that is what I do.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit