Old 04-12-2003, 04:12 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Hedgehog Gourd/Osage Orange

Monique Reed schreef
Well, osage orange fruits (hedge apples, monkey balls, etc.) *are*
reputed to repel cockroaches, but given that the fruits rot rather
readily and ooze a hard-to-scrub-off milky latex, it's a bit of a
toss-up as to whether it's easier to deal with them or the roaches...

M. Reed

+ + +
Now who is nitpicking?
But you are making unwarranted assumptions
The OP wanted to drive away spiders, so presumably he loves insects (which
would otherwise be eaten by spiders) and maybe roaches ...
Anyway now that we know what he means we can advise him that this effect
(whatever it may be) can also be achieved by using a distillate of the
fruit, avoiding the oozing and rotting fruit. (maybe he could fill an
ostrich eggshell with extract making both stories come true, or not)
PvR