Old 04-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default I won!

Rob Halgren writes:
I guess my point is that the species names should reflect the
current taxonomy, which is easy enough to fix. Intergeneric hybrids,

What isn't easy is knowing which taxonomy was used when someone gives
you a name. I would also like to know which plant is meant by a name,
not just which name a plant has. If people are to reuse old names,
they also should tell me which set of ideas they are using.

especially well established ones, shouldn't be mucked with. There is a
great deal of difference between horticultural naming and botanical
naming. No need to change all Dtps. to Phal. It wouldn't work anyway,
there are duplicate names (Phal. Arianne Cohen and Dtps. Arianne Cohen,
for example). That is a tide pool I don't want to jump into....

It is a tide pool I don't much care if even exists.

I think I shall call all my orchids Freckles from now on. Naming them
doesn't help me not killing them anyway.

Geir - disgruntled. The ascocenda just died. Damn.