Old 04-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Gavin Wheeler

Default Garden of Wales decision time

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
".............The original Technium site in Swansea appears to be
booming,........."

What "technium" site in Swansea?

Oops. Sorry - taking too much for granted.

First of all, an 'incubator' (in the context of high-tech businesses)
is a building with lab and office space that small technology
companies can rent when they first start up - generally before they
actually have their product on the market, and so before they have a
revenue stream. Incubators often supply services like lab facilities,
reception staff, internet and phone connectivity etc, and may take
some of the 'rent' in the form of shares in their resident companies
rather than cash. So they are a way for small technology companies to
get going quickly without having to spend too much of their precious
start-up capital on rent or lab equipment.

Bearing this in mind, the WDA in Wales has launched a project to build
a number of incubators around Wales to boost the our technology
industry and keep our entrepreneurs in Wales. The first one, now well
established, is on the Swansea docks, and is just called 'Technium'.
There are others in the process of being launched, with names that
reflect their area of speciality, such as "Digital Technium", "Auto
Technium", or "Media Technium". Or "Aberystwyth Technium" which
presumably didn't want to limit itself to one subject area. And, of
course, the BioTechnium which is the big empty building visitors to
Middleton may have seen up on the hill, above the medicinal herb
garden.

The official Technium website is at
http://www.wda.co.uk/en/technology_a...n/technium.cfm if you
want to know more. The 'boom' I was referring to is the fact that they
have had to build a second building at the original Technium site,
called "Technium 2", to deal with all the companies who want space.
Meanwhile the BioTechnium is standing empty only 30 minutes away,
needing only the last fittings and lab equipment before it is
functional.

Hope that explains, and apologies to all for a wildly off-topic post.