Old 05-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Speakers for garden societies?

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Janet Tweedy4/12/03 9:35

Trying to get together another year's programme for the gardening Club I
wondered if people on this list could recommend or not recommend any
likely speakers ?

Had some very good speakers last year but sadly our members don't seem
too keen on vegetable growing or allotments in the main. Biggest draw
was Rosemary Campbell Preston and 'scented garden' and a 'flower
arranging garden'!

Timothy Walker was a huge success in the summer for our 'special' talk.

There's a rent-a-speaker organisation, can't remember the name, but my
previous gardening soc found that not all of them are as good as you'd
hope for the money they charge.

Sometimes the best speakers or demonstrators are local amateurs with a
passion; you could try asking local organisations such as the WI and
Round Table for recommendations.

As for Mike Nelhams (Sacha's suggestion)...ohhh yesssss. I went to a
gardening talk of his at which every woman was completely spellbound for
about an hour and a half with big sloppy smiles on their faces.
Strangely, I have absolutely no recollection of the horticultural
content, and I bet none of them did either..but we enjoyed it
immensely:~}

Janet