Old 05-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Theo

Default [IBC] Serissa question continued!

HI
I sow a great wonderful Serissa in a Pharmacy Drugstore they had it
since years it was about 2ft tall and in perfect condition

but the guy regularly was giving it to someone else to take care
and one dai the serissa disappeared .. probably passed over ..
We refer to it as a shrub as it is in that form we can buy it never
has seen one 3 feet hight with a 2-3 " diametre trunk
It is a hightly enjoyable plant I agree but a problematic one
as it is a *shrub* & most of us will have a even stronger
conviction to *baby* it you see what I mean mini leaves mini flowers
frail twigs

and oeverdoing baby care is one of the most lethal things one can
do to a bonsai !

and serissa dislike sultry soil as easily develope rot decay and
love very well drained soil and air and light an not direct sun unless
outside and not in veyr hot hours and stands &love cold as well and
and ... is often the *first* bonsai and hence wrongly considered as
Baby + the Inside kind one
with all consequences that stems from ignorance of its needs and
over care ... and the 2 late ones are the only thing we should
condemn about serissa !
Theo

Derek Zieminski wrote:

Well, I am only going to put my input in since this conversation has
suprisingly gone on so long and really hasn't gotten anyone anywhere. First of all I
will agree that Serrissa are a much hardier specimen than many think. Just if
you don't know Serissa are a very enjoyable plant that I love to work with
and I have had much success with. I really get a kick out of the whole "shrub"
thing when most of the people on this list refer to Serissa. Just because
many of you have had bad luck with this fine specimen don't t try and condemn the
poor thing.

P.S. Some luck is better than no luck...

Derek Zieminski
Tampa, FL/ Summerville, SC

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++