Old 05-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Camellia sasanqua

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:26:27 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Anyone care to make a guess at the name of a very deep pink - almost red -
double Camellia currently flowering in my mother's Guernsey garden? We've
asked for cuttings from it later but nobody seems to have a clue as to name.
Armed with a few suggestions, some books and Google imaging, we might be
able to track it down. ;-) TIA.

Jennifer Trehane's recent book* has a list of C. sasanquas, but
nothing really matches your description. The nearest is 'Crimson
King', medium to large semi-double, deep crimson with golden stamens,
but it sounds too red to me.

Rosea plena is probably an early variety.

The following site has 1300 images of camellias, but it's not
searchable by description. http://www.ykanda.jp/camellia.html
The sasanquas are about two thirds of the way down the list, and not
all are named. Also plenty of links to other camellia sites.

*Camellias, Batsford, 1998. Did I say recent? Time flies!

--
Chris