Old 05-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Derek Zieminski

Default [IBC] Serissa question

Gary, I would like to congratulate you, nice cuttings. Their coming along
nicely! I would definitely recommend you trim the bottoms up just a little bit
so the branches are a little bit farther away from the soil. However do leave
a few low because this will allow the nabari to develop and thicken much
quicker. Serissa also heal very nicely in a relatively short period of time,
meaning a growing season they should be mostly covered up. The scares also hide
nicely with the already light colored trunk. Your doing a good job obviously
by not over watering which is the problem most people have with them. Just be
sure to keep the above ground part of the tree humid, which can be done simply
with a water bottle and misting every now and then. I would also recommend
place them in a grossly over sized pot which will and to the thickening and use
a soil that id better draining such as a 50/50 mix of bonsai soil and potting
soil, which does great.

Derek Zieminski
Zone 8A @ home Summerville, SC
Now Tampa, FL for school