Old 05-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Robert

Default Greenfly....and a solution

: I know this shouldn't be an issue at this time of year, but plants in
: my conservatory are covered in greenfly:
: - Some perennial chilli peppers
: - A hibiscus
: - Some aubergines from the greenhouse
: that I'm trying to overwinter inside
: - Some Culantro
: (Caribbean version of coriander, but very different)
:
: I had tried "gentle" sprays (since I want to eat some of the produce)
: but they did no good and the plants were getting absolutely covered
: with greenfly
:
: Then I saw "Derris" at http://www.organiccatalog.co.uk. I have tried
: one blast of this so far, and the bugs are dropping (like flies...).
: However, even this product warns that it cant help if the aphids are a
: resistant strain.
:
: If you have a similar problem, you could do worse than try it.
:
: Colin
: -----
: (Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)

I know Derris is suggested for organic growers but it is more deadly than some of the chemicals you can use and is not selective, i.e. it kills all insects, friends and foes. I wouldn't use it