Old 06-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Sacha

Default Tree suggestions please

bnd7776/12/03 1:18
Need a tall evergreen tree (but definitely not a Conifer) that has non
invasive roots because it will be close to a stone garden wall and will be
happy in very deep dry sandy soil on a gravel subase ..........trying to
keep the soil moist in summer even with tons of compost is a nightmare

It depends a bit on where you live but what about a Myrtus luma apiculata -
that's a Med. type tree which will be very happy with dry roots most of the
time. It's evergreen, has small white flowers and a lovely bark as the tree
ages.
Hilliers says that it grows best in full sun, in mild maritime climates,
though the maritime isn't necessary. We have four or five in the garden,
some of which are self-seeded and one is growing in quite a bit of shade!
Again, in a mild climate, I'd suggest a Hoheria 'Glory of Amlwch' and this
evergreen species will need wall protection because ours can lose its leaves
in cold winters. They flower in July/August with us. Another possible is
Azara microphylla which has scented yellow flowers in early spring. We get
frost here in winter to -7 at its worst, I think. The Azara needs wall
protection, except in mild climates, so could be good for you. The best
thing.
A Magnolia grandiflora is the classic tree to grow against a wall and
another possible, depending o location is an Acacia (mimosa).
If you tell us where you live, it would help to narrow things down a bit
more.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)