Old 06-12-2003, 01:32 PM
DelawareDave

Default Making a pond from a gully

First, I'm new to this group. If this post is better placed somewhere else,
please let me know.

I have a "V" shaped gully in my slightly sloped wooded backyard with an
apparent VERY SMALL spring of constant water running through the bottom of
it.

I'd like to "dam-up" this gully and make a pond - ideally with water feed
from this apparent spring. Here's my questions:

1. What do I do about a liner ? Should I put one big liner in the hole ?
Should the liner cover the water source ? Should I cut a hole in the liner
over the small water source ? Should I try to lay several pieces in the
hole to reduce percolation to increase water level ?

2. What water level overall can I expect ? The "V" gully is about 3
vertical feet deep and has a very small water flow. Is the current
vertical level of the flow the highest I can ever expect ? If I line
portions of this gully - can I realistically expect the hole to fill (and
sustain filled) a level 3 feet higher than the current level ?

There's something here to do with the hydrostatic level of the source -
which I don't know and am interested in suggestions on how to test.

Thanks !!!!