Old 06-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Mosquitoes and moths indoors - attractants?

wrote in
om:

Does anyone know of certain chemicals or odours that atrract....

- Mosquitoes?
- Moths?

I know there are certain baits for moths, but I don't know what they
are, or where to get them. Likewise with mosquitoes.
Also, since female mosquitoes feed on blood before laying eggs, I am
*assuming* that the scent of blood itself would attract them? Yes? No?
e.g. If you had a dish of blood, or very bloody meat that was blended
up with water, that would be useful in attracting them? Yes? No?

You can get all the horney meal moths you want with pheromone traps.

Female mosquitoes are attracted to octenol and specific concentrations
carbon dioxide - third hand info. I don't think blood attracts them per
se. They probably key on respiratory profiles and/or temperature
gradients.

If you can't get your hands on octenol or CO2, you can hire me to sit
outside (only $1000/hr). Mosquitoes will come all the way from Louisiana
to bite me. Air freight to Australia not include.

P.S. I'm reading this in rec.gardens, and I'm not an entomologist.