Old 06-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Bees

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Mary Fisher6/12/03 9:54

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Mary Fisher5/12/03 8:43

Did Brother Adam write about bee-keeping - pressed or un-pressed?

;-)

He wrote books about beekeeping. I never rated them as bee management
treatises althoug Beekeeping at Buckfast Abbey was interesting as part

of
the story of the Abbey. What's more he was a very difficult author for

his
publishers.
snip

I think that I have seldom read a nastier post about someone to whom an
entire hobby and industry owed so much. "Old, withered old stick,

accented
speech, hardly audible, set in his ways"

No, it wasn't a nasty post at all. It was honest and there aren't many
people aho are prepared to be honest. I originally typed some things

which
had been said by other notable people in the bee world but that would

have
been hearsay so I stuck to my own experiences. I don't believe that the
hobby and industry don't owe a lot to him except in publicity terms -

and
those agents who sold 'Buckfast' queens.

Also, you snipped the good things I said about him!

Mary, you define the word 'ego'. Let me just say that I have heard

many
bee
keepers speak with respect of Brother Adam. I've never heard one

mention
you. Why, I wonder, would that be.

Several reasons. Among them are that you don't move in the right circles
(except that there are two who you knew who knew me.

Well, again that is rather strange. I've never heard either of them

mention
you and originally in fact, you claimed never to have heard of one of

them!

I don't have the same
charisma as Bro Adam did - and still has. I don't need to make money for

my
abbey. There are more.

Mary

I would say that with his decades of experience, Brother Adam was one of

the
most knowledgeable and reliable of beekeepers in this country. One the

one
hand you put it down to his 'charisma' and on the other you appeared to
remark on a lack of it.
I think it unkind and peculiar that you berate him for retaining his

native
accent

That is an outright lie. Mary said
" He refused to lose his German accent, even though he'd been here for about
seventy years"
That seems to me to be a straightforward statement of fact. Please point
out where the "berating" bit comes in, or retract.

Why shouldn't he? Most people do. 'A withered old stick' isn't
unkind? I'd call it excessively rude and very spiteful.

I'm afraid I stick with my opinion that it was a nasty post - it gives me
the impression that in your eyes, nobody but you is able to talk about bee
keeping with any authority at all but you've been at it for what - a mere

25
years?
I think a kill file is now in order so that I can avoid any more of your
unkind and self-aggrandising posts.

Sacha, your sequence of posts on this topic has been a disgrace.

Franz