Old 06-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Bees

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:42:59 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

That is an outright lie. Mary said
" He refused to lose his German accent, even though he'd been here for about
seventy years"
That seems to me to be a straightforward statement of fact. Please point
out where the "berating" bit comes in, or retract.

As someone with an Austrian mother, I find the notion of 'refusing to
lose' an accent to be a rather curious proposition.
Actually no - preposterous more like.

I must ring her tonight and DEMAND to know why she doesn't sound like
Valerie Singleton.
Rest assured, good English speaking people - I shall not be swayed by
the fact she has only lived here for a mere 50 years.

I shall purchase for her a Brian Perkins' Guide to Enunciation - you
may remember him from such programmes as 'Whither Diphthong' and 'When
brogues attack!'.
Failing that, I'll get Donald Sinden round to duff her over...

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk