Old 06-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Dave M.

Default Making a pond from a gully

Will leave the should or shouldn't to you but how far downstream from the
spring is the point where you would be 3-4 feet lower than the origin? Just
wondering if you can put in your dam at that point, then run a liner behind
the dam and back to the origin of the spring. Allow the water to run over
the lip of the liner in to the new gully/pond, may take a while to fill but
when it does, it can overflow the dam and "continue" the path it was going
before? Not an engineer so may this suggestion may make no sense!

"DelawareDave" wrote in message
First, I'm new to this group. If this post is better placed somewhere

else,
please let me know.

I have a "V" shaped gully in my slightly sloped wooded backyard with an
apparent VERY SMALL spring of constant water running through the bottom of
it.

I'd like to "dam-up" this gully and make a pond - ideally with water feed
from this apparent spring. Here's my questions:

1. What do I do about a liner ? Should I put one big liner in the hole

?
Should the liner cover the water source ? Should I cut a hole in the

liner
over the small water source ? Should I try to lay several pieces in the
hole to reduce percolation to increase water level ?

2. What water level overall can I expect ? The "V" gully is about 3
vertical feet deep and has a very small water flow. Is the current
vertical level of the flow the highest I can ever expect ? If I line
portions of this gully - can I realistically expect the hole to fill (and
sustain filled) a level 3 feet higher than the current level ?

There's something here to do with the hydrostatic level of the source -
which I don't know and am interested in suggestions on how to test.

Thanks !!!!