Old 06-12-2003, 11:32 PM
David Hill

Default Ugli tomato

"...........Every certified organic commercial farmer I know collects,
ferments and saves their own seeds. Particularly tomatoes. They are all
heirloom, of course, and these are small
farms under 30 acres, but with tomatoes they do save their own seed.
.........."

Well I stand corrected, and it just goes to show the difference.
Herein the UK all commercial Tomatoes are grown under cover, mostly glass,
and the aim is to produce around ton plus to the acre, with the plants being
grown for around 11 months.

Several wholesale seed companies sell certified Organic seed so this is what
the vast majority use throughout Europe.
Heritage varieties are in the main the preserve of the dedicated amateur.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries