Old 07-12-2003, 12:12 AM
animaux

Default Ugli tomato

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 23:17:46 -0000, "David Hill"
opined:

Well I stand corrected, and it just goes to show the difference.
Herein the UK all commercial Tomatoes are grown under cover, mostly glass,
and the aim is to produce around ton plus to the acre, with the plants being
grown for around 11 months.

Several wholesale seed companies sell certified Organic seed so this is what
the vast majority use throughout Europe.
Heritage varieties are in the main the preserve of the dedicated amateur.

Oh, when you said farmers I thought you meant farmers. Greenhouse tomatoes are not really
tomatoes, are they? At least they don't taste like them. This being the case, I will
agree with you that, most hothouse tomatoes here in the States indeed are hybrids which
have very high yield with little to no taste...but weight. In that regard, seeds are
bought. Only heirloom (which are called heritage? over there) can be saved and be assured
to have the same offspring of the parent plant. You know all that...