Old 07-12-2003, 12:22 AM
Sacha

Default Bees

Jaques d'Alltrades6/12/03 11:15

The message
from John Rouse contains these words:
In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes

Is there an effective treatment for the veroa (Sp?) mite yet?

There was, but resistant mites have appeared in the south-west. Thymol
seems to be the only answer at the moment, though good husbandry helps.

Isn't that always the way? Still, medicine has been given a shot in the
arm with the recent discovery of RNA interference, and that might well
hit the pests before it is licensed for human use.

I'm going back a lonnnnnnnng time and I haven't kept up, so forgive me.
Wasn't there some talk/experiment/hope etc. of breeding a rather more
ferocious strain of varroa resistant bees with our native bees to produce
the best of both worlds? Did that come to anything?
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)