Old 07-12-2003, 07:02 AM
gregpresley

Default Replanting Poinsettias in the garden ? (PNW)

Poinsettias could be grown outdoors in protected spots in North Florida
(Tallahassee) such as against a south facing house wall under eaves.
Tallahassee has many more nights of frost than Seattle, I'm pretty sure -
but the days are uniformly MUCH warmer - averaging in the mid-60's even in
January. I suspect that the plant is adapted to brief frosts as long as the
ground warms up quickly during the day. I think it is native to Mexico, but
not to the truly tropical parts - more to the subtropics that have cooler
nights in winter.
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"-L." wrote in message
m...
I live in the PNW. Would it be possible to plant my Poinsettias in my
yard after the Holiday season? If so, what type of exposure, soil,
etc. should I look for?

TIA!

-L.

Sorry, but poinsettias are a tropical plant and will be toast in minutes

in
our winters. They don't even like being transported in the cold from store
to car to home. And be sure to keep them away from cold drafts in the home
as well.

They can make an attractive houseplant, though. Do a google search to get
the details of how to care for your point after the holidays.

pam - gardengal
PNW