Old 07-12-2003, 10:36 AM
Andrew G

Default Morton Bay fig propogation.

"Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish" wrote in message
SNIP
So, does anyone have any experience with planting epiphytes of this
nature? Any advice on techniques to help ensure success would be great.

I am not sure what you mean by planting them as epithytes.
They are pretty hardy trees, and I would imagine in would need some pretty
heavy handed handling to kill one during transplanting of a seedling.
I have collected a few from a friends property that were growing amongst
rocks, making great bonsai.
You mention the tree is on its last legs. It's a pity, 'cos the best way to
propagate them is aerial layering. Basically you choose a branch approx the
thickness of a broom handle, and a foot or 2 from the end of the branch
remove some bark by making a light cut around the branch, then another a
couple of inches along, and remove the bark between the cuts. Pack some
moist sphagnum(sp?) moss around the wound, then wrap alfoil around the moss,
tying string at each end of the foil to seal it. Roots will form in the
moss, then you can cut off the branch at the section with roots and plant
it. Instant plant!
I say it's a pity it's on it's last legs as if it's due to disease, then the
cutting you take could have it too.
I would collect the seedlings, and pot them up, eventually planting them out
in the ground.
You could try collecting and planting the seeds, though I am not sure if
there is any preparation needed for getting these seeds to germinate, such
as having them being passed through a birds digestive system?
Keep the water up to them, especially when in ground, not wet though, moist.
Good luck

--
Take my first and surname to email me and replace the abuse without
placing an intervening dot.