Old 07-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Gaiawar

Default Hedgehog Gourd/Osage Orange

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message ...
It's a beautiful tree. The Bois D'arc

+ + +
That would be "bois d'arc" or "Bois d'Arc"

Thamks for the correction. On page 47 of Robert A. Vines' book Trees
of East Texas he hyphenates Osage-Orange.

+ + +

is native here in Dallas. Most
of the older homes sit on rot resistant piers of Bois D'arc that
termites can't enter. They eat the cambium only.

+ + +
That would be a first.
In the real world it is the sapwood that gets eaten.
+ + +

My negligence on the matter. Vines does not mention that the most
common use of the wood is for house piers.

For an experiment
sharpen a twenty penny nail and try to drive it into a Bios D'arc wih
a four pound hammer.

+ + +
Violent type, aren't you?
+ + +

Not at all unless I am bodily threatened. Bois d'Arc weighs 48 lbs per
cubic foot which means it is very dense and hard. I occasionally make
things with it, Pilot drilling is necessary since it deflects nails.

Caution! Wear body armor and a face shield.

+ + +
Yes, quite violent
PvR

Get a grip. ;-)

BTW, did you notice that Cereoid's foul mouth drew Echelon's
attention?

-Gaiawar