Old 07-12-2003, 08:20 PM
tbell

Default How to pronounce...

No problem with Yreka - it's "Whyreeka." My downfall was in upstate NY,
where Chili is pronounced "Chailai!"
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

From: Rob Halgren
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:44:51 -0500
Subject: How to pronounce...

Wendy wrote:

At first I thought of the simple answer could be :-
Pee-O-kerr
Then I thought of the pronunciation of the word "people"
Pee-Kerr
I don't know but this is the way I would pronounce it with my SA accent.
Pee Oh kah

Pee-O-kerr is how _I_ say it. But evidently I can't even pronounce my
own name right (if telemarketers are any indication).

I think that is how I've heard people who actually breed with that plant
say it. Not that they necessarily are right either.

Going to San Francisco today. I wonder how to pronounce it. Actually
I've always wondered at how to pronounce Yreka.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules:
http://www.msu.edu/~halgren