Old 07-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Frank H. Kirchner

Default How to pronounce...

Thanks for the help and good suggestions.

Frank
"K Barrett" wrote in message
*GASP!* Wendy! You truly *aren't* from here are you? *G*

'Yreka' is pronounced just how it looks: Y(like the letter 'Y') -ree-ka.
http://www.yrekachamber.com/

Not to be confused with the town of 'Eureka' which is on the coast.
http://www.eurekawebs.com/ and named after Archimedes' exclaimation after
discovering his Principle http://www.colchsfc.ac.uk/maths/archimedes.htm
(which is also the California State
motto)http://www.library.ca.gov/history/ca....cfm#Heading11

See Yahoo Maps (hope these work, if not just plug 'map Yreka California in
the Google search engine): Yreka

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?cs...96097&ds =n&n

ame=&desc=&ed=T_dglep_0Trcmt1nvziBtHch5MJk0PMz3skc FGnstXlz35jUxzlFRyPm.1a7xr
idaPq_tHF_7EO4Rm8kUQ91XlAl9w--&BFClick=&BFKey=&zoomin=yes&resize=s&mag=3

Eureka

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?cs...=95501&d s=n&

name=&desc=&ed=rzudmup_0Tq3iTMaKtgsme8l5O53akgtjqw bAzacL8hgcWDqpZwTfs_rlMsTp
cN4IC.0qku5CzbuAW0lvSwgeREo0g--&BFClick=&BFKey=&zoomin=yes&resize=s&mag=3

K Barrett

"Wendy" wrote in message
*G* You-reka! The city near the bay.
Don't forget your rules, take plastic!
Have a safe trip.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
Wendy wrote:

At first I thought of the simple answer could be :-
Pee-O-kerr
Then I thought of the pronunciation of the word "people"
Pee-Kerr
I don't know but this is the way I would pronounce it with my SA

accent.
Pee Oh kah

Pee-O-kerr is how _I_ say it. But evidently I can't even pronounce my
own name right (if telemarketers are any indication).

I think that is how I've heard people who actually breed with that

plant
say it. Not that they necessarily are right either.

Going to San Francisco today. I wonder how to pronounce it. Actually
I've always wondered at how to pronounce Yreka.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit