Old 08-12-2003, 06:42 AM
-L.

Default Replanting Poinsettias in the garden ? (PNW)

"gregpresley" wrote in message ...
Poinsettias could be grown outdoors in protected spots in North Florida
(Tallahassee) such as against a south facing house wall under eaves.
Tallahassee has many more nights of frost than Seattle, I'm pretty sure -
but the days are uniformly MUCH warmer - averaging in the mid-60's even in
January. I suspect that the plant is adapted to brief frosts as long as the
ground warms up quickly during the day. I think it is native to Mexico, but
not to the truly tropical parts - more to the subtropics that have cooler
nights in winter.

We are actually in Portland. It doesn't get as cold here, and I have
some protected spots in the yard where I could try them. It rains a
lot here, though, so they may not do well. The exterior of our home
is stucco which retains heat, so that may add some protection as well.
I might try it and see what happens - beats just throwing them away!
Thanks for the info, everyone.

-L.