Old 08-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Electronic mole repellers??

The message
from martin contains these words:

I was pleased not to have the lawn trashed this autumn by badgers but the
number of moles are making up for it. Every where I tread I seem to sink
several inches. The tunnels seem more like huge rooms than corridoors. I've
given up with humane traps, and the smell deterrent just moves them
elsewhere in the garden. So it's the chopper for the sweet furry pests. But
I've only caught one so far. Has anyone suggestions for how best to use the
traps please?

Yes.

Get one of those split-cane plant supports and trace where the runs go.
DO NOT put the trap in one of the short branches that go to a molehill,
as moley pushes a pile of earth in front of him and that will set off
the trap before he is in it.

Find a run between branches leading to two molehills and cut a square of
turf just big enough to slide the trap into, right down to the run.

Set the trap with the trigger ring between the jaws and place it in the
hole, carefully filling the top with grass roots etc and covering it
with earth so that no light gets in, but making sure you don't obstruct
the free movement of the 'handles'. (If the run is deep, you may have to
allow for their springing out when you dig the hole.)

If the trap is set in tough ground it is as well to mark its position
with a split cane and a bit of white plastic in the top.

HTH

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)